[PLUG] Broken Inbound Mail System

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 5 14:31:22 UTC 2005

   I have apparently done something bad to my mail system, and I cannot figure
out what I did despite trying for the past two days. I've had no mail in my
INBOX since Friday. No spam that slipped past the filters, no reports on
backup results or the pflogsumm report from /var/log/maillog, no duplicates
sent in response to mail list messages. Mail from various mail lists are
placed in the proper files by procmail, but nothing comes into the inbox.

   This all started, I think, when I tried to modify procmail recipes to
direct moderately high volume mail lists into the appropriate file rather
than /var/spool/mail/rshepard. Nothing from those mail lists has shown up
since Friday, either. I've tried changing the order of recipes, but something
broke, either inadvertently by me or for some other reason. I need to find
the source of this problem and fix it, and I need help doing so.

   I asked on the mailhelp list about the lack of MTA log analysis, and the
sudden inability for /usr/local/bin/pflogsumm to run, but I've not received
help to a solution there.

   How do I go about trouble shooting this problem?

TIA,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"