[PLUG] That's It! Nautilus is HISTORY!

Sandy Herring sandy at herring.org
Thu Sep 8 18:25:03 UTC 2005

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005, Jason wrote:
[...]
> I've had to rebuild my /home folder a couple of times because I wanted
> to remove a lot of .doc files.  So I did 'rm * .doc' instead of 'rm
> *.doc'.  Doh!

BTDT :-\  Now I protect dirs I care about by creating a `-i' file so
that wildcard expansion by rm sees it as an option. To wit...

[sandy at pickled ~]$ mkdir rmtest
[sandy at pickled ~]$ cd rmtest
[sandy at pickled rmtest]$ touch this that .the .other thing
[sandy at pickled rmtest]$ touch -- -i
[sandy at pickled rmtest]$ ls -a
.  ..  -i  .other  that  .the  thing  this
[sandy at pickled rmtest]$ rm -rf t *
rm: cannot lstat `t': No such file or directory
rm: remove regular empty file `that'? n
rm: remove regular empty file `thing'? n
rm: remove regular empty file `this'? n

Of course, that still won't protect dot files...

[sandy at pickled rmtest]$ rm -rf .t*
[sandy at pickled rmtest]$ ls -a
.  ..  -i  .other  that  thing  this

Sandy