[PLUG] That's It! Nautilus is HISTORY!

Dale F. Victor dalefv at iinet.com
Tue Sep 6 22:21:37 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 07 September 2005 04:30 am, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # from AthlonRob
>
> # on Tuesday 06 September 2005 21:34:
> >Perhaps we should all share our "root oops" stories or something to
> > make the new guy feel better?  :-)
>
> My funniest (and most educational) would definitely be when I was
> sitting at my wife's computer and trying to remove a file with a funny
> filename (maybe it started with '-'.)  I had typed "rm -rf" and had hit
> the backspace key before I remembered that she had one of those evil
> keyboards with the backwards L-shaped enter key!  Now I always put the
> -rf options to rm at the end after I type the filenames, but more
> importantly I have banned all evil keyboards.
>
> --Eric
Hello!
One day I decided it was time to organize the files in my /home directory. I
got the idea that the best command to use was rm -Rdf ./*  to delete the
contents of directories I no longer wanted.

Everything was going fine. Files were being put where they needed to be (using
other commands of course, then I just started to delete things I had no use
for. I typed the command mentioned above and then all of a sudden I noticed
the directory I was in was /home. I quickly hit the ctrl-c then ctrl-x hoping
one would stop the process before everything was gone. The process stopped. I
was really glad that I had a very large set of files starting with B. I only
lost about a gig and most of it was not needed. I no longer do this, though
it works quite well!

We all do dumb stuff, especially when we know better!

Dale