[PLUG] A Wine Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 13 18:29:31 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, Aaron Burt wrote:

> Well, for Wine to work, it needs to be able to map a Windows drive to the
> path. Maybe it doesn't know how, in this case.

Aaron,

   It's quite possible that I have not properly configured wine. In
~/.wine/dosdevices I have a soft link, c:\, that points to ~/wine/drives/c/.
It was from the latter directory (that contains the windows/ file tree) that
I invoked wine; not from the directory with the application.

> I've always had good luck just changing to the directory where the Windows
> binary is and running from there.

   I don't have a windows binary, just wine.

> Have you found any info anywhere on whether anyone else has tried running
> MapSource under Wine? I'd be quite surprised if you were the first. It
> might even be listed on the WineHQ compatibility database.

   Nope. I checked the application database and could find nothing. There are
a couple of applications that transfer data between a PC and a Garmin GPS of
various flavors, but that's not the issue here.

   Once, a couple of years ago, I actually got an application to run the
installer under wine, but not the application itself. I am so ignorant of
things Windows that I cannot tell if the Slackware package I have installed
is complete or properly figured. And, I have gone through the Web site's
online documentation. For example, I have a WIN.INI file, but no wine.ini
file.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"