[PLUG] Career in computer security?

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Wed Sep 14 05:20:52 UTC 2005

On Sep 13, 2005, at 8:22 PM, Matt Alexander wrote:
> Is anyone out there working in a position that deals primarily with
> computer/network security?

Me, for one. I don't have all my NDA's in front of me, but I guess it's
safe to say that I spend a lot of my time working on network and
host-attack security issues for three-letter-agencies.

>  If so, how did you get into the field?

I worked in so many aspects of computing and networking that I had
gained the needed knowledge base for the work I'm doing, and I didn't
get burnt out or pigeonholed into one specific area that prevented me
from doing "bigger picture" work and continuing to grow my knowledge
and skills.

>  What
> education or certifications do you feel are worthwhile for a career in
> computer security?

Well, it's a *huge* field.... you might have to narrow down the
question a bit. There's alphabet soup out there covering all the
different aspects, and it's far beyond anything one human could learn
in a lifetime....

For example, somebody specializing in designing hardware encryption
devices needs a totally different background than somebody specializing
in writing corporate security policy, and somebody researching the
detection of network threats needs a different background than somebody
focusing on social engineering....

Is there a specific area you're looking into?

-Ron Chmara
--
Ronin Professional Consulting LLC
4245 NE Alberta Ct.