[PLUG] Outlook invitations to Sunbird

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Mon Sep 19 21:09:15 UTC 2005

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>
>> I've done a bit of looking but nothing encouraging showed up via
>> Google so
>> I'm hoping someone here might have suggestions.
>

>> Is there any alternatives that would do this.  Ie. user gets Invitation
>> from an Outlook user. They could click "I accept" and get the entry into
>> their calendar.
>

> Rod,
>
>   If this is still not a smooth transition, why not leave it for later
> and do
> the easy things first? For example, convert the servers to linux and use
> samba to support those who must remain with certain Microsoft applications.
> In the meantime, phase in OO.o and other office applications in their
> Microsoft and Apple incarnations so staff become used to working with those
> tools.

We're there with the servers.  There is a changing of the guard going on
  so SAMBA isn't here but coming soon.  ( Other more critical issues to
handle first. )  OpenOffice is pretty much on its way.

My take is that a clean-sweep change-over won't happen until all the
issues are solved/sorted-out.  Surprisingly the WinXP systems stay up
very well and get shut-down every night so a reboot happens!

> scripts. In my naivete, I would think that managers would prefer to
> forego a calendaring application to gain the ability to keep the systems
> up and not

The calendaring is for individuals, so far, to manage their activies not
for management.  Switching to Sunbird isn't too big an issue.  It is
being able to interact with customers that use MS and the few here that
still live for the MS solution.

Rod