[PLUG] GOSCON

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 05:24:32 UTC 2005

# from MJang
# on Monday 19 September 2005 08:50 pm:

>Just wondering if the upcoming Government Open Source Conference
>(GOSCON) might be worth the time and trouble (www.goscon.org) - is
>anyone here familiar with the quality of the sessions? Will it be half
>as good as the regular OSCON?

Good?  You mean tasty technical details about cutting-edge projects that
were first posted one week before the conference?  No.

As I understand it, this is a totally different beast, meant mostly to
give government IT guys a rundown on how and why to use open source in
their everyday problem-solving.  Did you hear something different?

Sure, these guys are a technical audience and there will probably be
several sessions of nitty-gritty, but I don't think that Larry Wall is
coming.  You also probably shouldn't expect to see anything like
Damian's "how to build a beowulf out of laserjets" talk.

--Eric
--
Issues of control, repair, improvement, cost, or just plain
understandability all come down strongly in favor of open source