[PLUG] What is softirq?

Vincent Yau v_yau3 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 21 11:29:21 PDT 2005

Hi:

Recently, I brought up to athlon64 box.  They both run great (most of the
time).
The slower of the two, however, seems to be exhibiting some weird
behavior at times.  They are all sorts of them here and there
and I am slowly tackling one at a time.

This one, however, is a little odd for me.
When I run top,   I can always see that under "CPU states", the "softirq"
category always
hovers around 50% usage.  Even when I am not running anything (other than
what is minimum to have the box running), it would be 50% idle and 50%
softirq.
I don't see this on any other boxes so I am wondering what is special about
this.
Can someone tell me what is softirq?

I am running kernel 2.4.21-32.EL  64-bit version

Thanks for any tip/pointer.

--Vincent