[PLUG] DNS question

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Thu Sep 22 06:13:13 UTC 2005

Russ Gilman-Hunt wrote:
> I'm sorry to trouble all of you for an answer to a silly question.
>
> Is there an automated way for a DNS master to tell a DNS slave "now ask me
> for this new domain, so you can be authorative too" when a new domain is
> configured on the master?

BIND zone transfer protocol only transfers information for zones that have
already been configured at both ends. It does not have a way to
instruct/request a server to become authoritative for a new zone. You'll
have to do this out of band.

> I'm looking at two servers, one of which does an automatic hosting sort of
> thing and uses some scripts to create the named.conf file and the entries in
> /var/named/ . It needs to share this information with some slaves.

If you have administrative control of your slaves, why not forget about
zone transfers and push everything out to the slaves - including new
configuration information?

> While I can create a fairly trivial set of scripts to communicate the new
> domain back and forth, I'm sure this wheel has been invented before.

It has. It's scp.

Ed Sawicki