[PLUG] Re: DNS question

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Thu Sep 22 17:53:20 UTC 2005

Russ Gilman-Hunt wrote:

>You and YAR (heh) have the right of it.
>Basically, we have one host ( configured as a DNS master ) where new domains
>can be created with users purchasing domains and hosting options. When a new
>domain is created, it creates the master entry on this server, but I need to
>notify the slaves that there is indeed a new domain for which they need the
>configuration file.

Why this should always be a process that goes through some kind of approval?

Because BIND has had a terrible track record and having information
cascade to your slaves could spread the problem.

This is also why it's suggested to not run the master server as a listed
DNS for the domain. Along with that, cache poisoning can be mittigated
by hiding the master.

Russ