[PLUG] Kernel Version Questions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Sep 23 15:40:16 UTC 2005

   What is the stability status of the 2.6 kernel series? I just learned that
Emperor Linux now supports only this series, and not the 2.4 series. Patrick
is still keeping the 2.4 kernels in the main distribution, with 2.6 as an
option.

   I have no desire for being on the bleeding edge (or, cutting edge if you
prefer). I need to upgrade my Sony Vaio notebook from 2.4.24; all other
machines here are currently running 2.4.29. I have neither esoteric hardware
or demands on the hosts: there are two workstations (one of which is also the
main server) and two portables.

   What kernel (built here from source) would you experts recommend for my
Slackware systems? Emperor Linux will work with me to get the Sony features
working if they don't do so out of the box with a 2.6 kernel build.

   Then, I suppose, when I get the Slackware-10.2 upgrade I'll move the other
three hosts to the 2.6 kernel.

TIA,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"