[PLUG] Kernel Version Questions

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Sep 23 21:41:40 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 10:53:30AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   What I would greatly appreciate from those of you with much more kernel
> knowledge than I have is just _which_ 2.6.x kernel I should install for a
> stable, production, I-don't-want-to-pay-attention-to-it machine.

Yes, that's what you asked, and here's what I said before:

Built from source? Newest 2.6.  I'd start playing with a 2.6.14pre
version because 2.6.14 should be out soon.  Any version from 2.6.10 up
is pretty good.

But heck, if you're running a decently-maintained distro, just
use the latest precompiled kernel from that.  It's tested, and the
ACPI and sonypi drivers should be good enough.  You'll need the new
module-init-tools, is all.

Just for laffs, try a stock Slackware 2.6 kernel.  The drivers you
need should be included, no custom kernel needed.

BTW, what did your vendor say?  How about Google?

Nobody here's paid to do this,
  Aaron