[PLUG] serial console administration

Vram lamsokvr at xprt.net
Sat Sep 24 05:16:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 13:36 -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> Is anyone using the serial console for more than the occasional
> fix-of-last-resort? Since servers are presumably networked via Ethernet, why
> would you routine server administration over a poky ole serial line?
>
> Plus I eavesdropped shamelessly on a conversation about updating a Fedora box
> via the serial console, and it took an entire weekend. Yet the person who did
> it thought it was the greatest thing since twist-tops. Soooo... again, if
> Ethernet is working, why would do you this?

Ok..

I am going to ask the dumb question..

How do  I make this serial console connection?

I realize my dial up connection is coming out my serial connection
via  RS232C and a modem...

I don't know how to log into my computer via the serial/com port..

Someone hit me with the smart stick..Point me to a url..

Thanks

Vram

PS.

Carla I LOVED the BOOK!!!