[PLUG] OpenBSD on Portables?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Sep 24 18:34:41 UTC 2005

   As my old Toshiba Portege 3025CT has no resale value, I'd like to replace
the Slackware it's now running with OpenBSD and use it for a lightweight
communicator and writing machine when I'm away from the office.

   The official OpenBSD on Laptops web site does not list this model. I find
other Toshibas (including the Libretto L70 and a Portege 2000) so the OS
should install and run on this model.

   However, I have not found anything -- yet -- on the web or in my OpenBSD
book that suggests what should be installed on a portable rather than on a
workstation or server. And, what services should be configured for a box that
would be used both on the office network and stand-alone.

   Pointers to suggestions are welcome. This is a low-priority project for me
so if it takes a few months that's perfectly OK.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"