[PLUG] Re: serial console administration

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Sep 26 04:52:43 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 16:41 -0700, Eli Stair wrote:
> I worked for a company that did just that, designing an in-house
> networked serial concentrator to avoid having to purchase equipment to
> manage its clusters.  When you get right down to it, unless you
> literally have nothing better to do with your time (which probably
> isn't the case, or you wouldn't mind driving in at 3am :), it's much
> easier just to pay for a finished product, even if it's the cheapest
> one on the market.

Having dealt with both dial-up and text terminals (believe it or not
there are some businesses in the area that still rely on these!), I
can't imagine that sticking a multi-port serial card in a box and using
it for a serial console would be that difficult.  Of course, a
rack-mount box and serial card would probably cost enough that it'd
still make sense to buy rather than build.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>
Naked Ape Consulting, Ltd. <http://nakedape.cc>