[PLUG] OpenBSD on Portables?

Rich Burroughs rich at paranoid.org
Mon Sep 26 15:34:00 UTC 2005

Can I ask the rather sidetracky question of, "Why?" Is this just to
learn about OpenBSD? Is this laptop holding exteremely sensitive
information? Or is there something else I'm missing?

OpenBSD is just not the first *nix that comes to my mind when I think
about workstations even, let alone laptops. If your thought is that
OpenBSD will be more "lightweight," that may be true, but any Linux/Unix
can be installed in a more lightweight fashion.

OpenBSD is great, but there is a pretty small development team (at least
there was the last tinme I checked), and I think you are more likely to
run into problems with things like drivers. Maybe everything will be
covered for an older laptop, but if their site does not list it as
compatible then I wouldn't assume it's going to work.

If I were installing a laptop, I would go with a Linux distro (Ubuntu
seems to have a pretty small profile) or even FreeBSD if you are a *BSD
fan. YMMV of course.

As for services, it depends on exactly what you want to do. It's not
clear to me from your description, but you might not need any.

Rich