[PLUG] serial console administration

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Sep 26 18:52:32 UTC 2005

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> writes:

Paul> Connect another machine to that server using a null-modem
Paul> cable. Fire up minicom (or, better, conserver[1]) on the
Paul> non-server. Reboot the server and enjoy life without a locally
Paul> attached monitor!

On the supervisor machine, I've also set up minicom to run on one of
the virtual consoles (e.g. tty6) like so (from /etc/inittab):

  [...]
  1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
  2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
  3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
  4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
  5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
  #6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
  6:23:respawn:/usr/bin/openvt -c 6 -w -- /usr/bin/minicom -o -c on serial-console
  [...]

Kind of handy, at least if you've only got a few machines to wrangle.

seniorr at aracnet.com