[PLUG] Javascript question.

David Mandel dmandel at pdxLinux.org
Mon Sep 26 23:51:50 UTC 2005

Does anyone know javascript?
I don't.

I'm using UMN MapServer and have gotten myself in a position where I have
to use javascript to set a parameter in my return URL.

Normally, I do this by using something like:

               <script language="JavaScript">
               document.main.layer_status_1999.value="PRECIP0";
               document.main.submit();
               </script>

and then this returns something like:
http://www.DavidMandel.com?stateext=US&size=med&layer_status%5B%5D=copyright...
       lots-more- stuff...&layer_status_1999=PRECIP0.

This all works fine!

Unfortunately, in my environment I must use the name:
               layer_status%5B1999%5D or layer_status[1999]
or other things don't work.

However, every variation of:

               <script language="JavaScript">
               document.main.layer_status%5B1999%5D.value="PRECIP0";
               document.main.submit();
               </script>

that I have tryed BLOWS UP.
It doesn't like these special characters in my name (quoted, escaped, or
not) and it doesn't like me to use a variable in this position.

Does anyone know a way of handling this problem?
My work around is terrible.

                                          Sincerely,
                                          David Mandel
                                          Chief Activist