[PLUG] Wifi Help

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Sep 28 15:28:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 02:14:29PM -0700, Ron Braithwaite wrote:
> I'm trying to help a friend with a Motion Computing M1300 Tablet PC,
> loaded with Mandriva 2005 LE and the 2.6.11 kernel. It has a 1 GHz
> Centrino that shows up under WinXP (it's a dual boot system) with an
> Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI  wireless connection. It
> works just fine under WinXP.
>
> When I do an ifconfig eth2, I see that it has given me 192.168.0.3. I
> can ping the 0.3 address, but when I try to ping the gateway, I get
> Destination Host Unreachable and ping: sendmsg: Operation not
> permitted, with 1 packet transmitted, 0 received.
>
> This *should* be working, but its not and I don't have a clue as to why.

As root, look at the output of "route" to make sure that you are routing
packets correctly (that is, through eth2).  Also, check that your firewall
permits the packets (it might pass dhcp packets but not ping).  You may
have to turn off eth1 or eth0 (whatever the normal ethernet connection is).

Also, try pinging the laptop from the gateway, with tcpdump running on
both ends.

Hope that helps;

Keith
(back from England and 8 hours jetlagged)