[PLUG] IDE oddities

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 09:24:25 UTC 2006

# from Eli Stair
# on Saturday 01 April 2006 01:02 am:

>I'm guessing that your cut'n'paste truncated the beginning of p1, as
>it's too short (in addition to being "wrong")...

Think that might just be your font.  Try it in fixed-width.

>In any case, if your
>drive is as old as the CPU I wouldn't be surprised to see behaviour
>like that at this point,

No, fairly modern (40GB 7200rpm) drive.

>presuming you don't have a really old/buggy
>driver/filesystem combination.

Debian sarge (or was it etch?) maybe 6 months old in parts (kernel at
least is that old) but I'm running mildly older stuff elsewhere and not
seeing anything like this.

>Sounds like a good confirmation that
>there is a hardware problem, though I'd expect to see if without the
>unmount... though your file/pagecache is probably just assuming sanity
>until it's flushed out.

I also tried it with several syncs and saw no difference until after the
remount.

>I'd be curious of you started out with a file of known (non-binary)
>data and diff'd it in the same scenario.. maybe it's some cosmic
>message ;)

Heh.  It seems like plaintext files maybe were not as affected.  The
problem appeared when one of my subversion repositories started to
bitrot.  Most of the others were working fine, but a few had trouble
dumping (I guess some bits got twiddled in the older revs.)  I'll have
to check my website for pictures of jesus tomorrow.

--Eric
--
The opinions expressed in this e-mail were randomly generated by
the computer and do not necessarily reflect the views of its owner.