[PLUG] IDE oddities

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sat Apr 1 20:27:56 UTC 2006

>From: Eric Wilhelm <scratchcomputing at gmail.com>
> Anybody seen this sort of thing before?
>
>   dd if=/dev/urandom of=/tmp/randfile bs=1024k count=5
>   md5sum /tmp/randfile > /var/tmp/p1
>   umount /tmp
>   mount /tmp
>   md5sum /tmp/randfile > /var/tmp/p2
>   cat /var/tmp/p?
>
>    e602832f95ef1f395c3dc98a4428b35a  /tmp/randfile
>    0ba83cd02d0e182db2a551891a9ecaa9  /tmp/randfile

Really obvious item, is /tmp tmpfs, in which case unmounting the
filesystem *does* make all the files disappear? Do you normally have a
different filesystem mounted there? (in which case umount would pull the
other filesystem out, and mount would bring in the normal FS)

> I can't quite figure out why some files change in subtle ways after
> remounting the drive.  At this point, I'm blaming the motherboard,
> power supply, or some other subtle issue.
>
> I started in the installed OS with the drive on a promise pci card, got
> the same results with the on-board IDE, and again with a rescue CD,
> plus all of those scenarios with a different disk in the same box.
> Both drives work fine in a usb enclosure hung on a different machine.

Tried disabling DMA? Or using lower-speed DMA?

> This is an old (200MHz NEC) box that's been through quite a lot.  I
> suppose it is time to hang it up and get something slightly younger and
> blonder from freegeek.

Ugh, that is way to close for comfort to one machine I've still got
operational (the only balancing factor is mine started as server-class).