[PLUG] Linuxfest NW preliminary schedule

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Apr 2 16:36:12 UTC 2006

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Given that we have so many people from the Portland are presenting, it
> might be could to schedule some practice sessions beforehand, that locals
> can watch. Does anyone want to help organize this, and find us a room? My
> living room is available, but I couldn't get more than 10 people in it. And
> the beer sucks...

Keith,

   Over the past quarter-century I have been subjected to very few well-done
presentations. Most are appallingly bad. For some reason, teaching how to
present an effective talk is not part of the educational or professional
training of lawywers, engineers, scientists, or ... computer geeks.

   In the mid-1970s Rosemary MacKay, Professor of Zoology at the University of
Toronto, gave a presention on how to give a presentation at an annual meeting
of the North American Benthological Society. It certainly made a strong
impression on me. Over the years I've read more on how to effectively present
a talk, and I've taken advantage of several free seminars here in the
Portland area that enhanced my understanding and presentation effectiveness
by addressing such topics as the colors used in the slides. Yes, it makes a
strong, sub-conscious impression on your audience by generating emotions that
either reinforce the message you're trying to convey or belying that message;
the latter leads to confusion in the listener's mind and you've lost your
audience.

   A couple of weeks ago I had to sit through a workshop on mixing zones (it
was one of those business things where I had to be seen in attendance). All
the speakers sucked big time; that's the most polite way to describe their
abuse of our presence.

   Unfortunately, too many of the PLUG meeting talks are of the same
ineffective type.

   I would be very happy to give a presentation/workshop/seminar on how to
give an effective presentation. This could help folks who not only preach to
the choir but need to make sales presentations (internally or externally),
speak to those who know less than they do about a particular topic, and be
better able to understand their own reactions to talks given by others.

   Three key factors with which an effective presentation must comply:

   1.)  Know your audience and what they expect to learn from you. Tell them
what you're going to say. Say it. Tell them what you said. Sit down.

   2.)  Assume that your audience can read and comprehend English. Do NOT
turn your back on the audience and read the slides to them. The slides should
be phrases; notes of the key points. Show few data; make it all readable to
someone over 40 years old sitting at the back of the audience. Clarity over
cute.

   3.)  If you want to excite your audience and get them emotionally stirred
up, use colors such as red and yellow. If you want to be taken seriously, use
colors such as green, blue, and grey. Use high contrast, preferably with a
dark background; black-on-white is much clearer than is white-on-black; red
on green gets you neutered with a rusty razor blade.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  Quantifying subjectivity for the
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |  benefit of business and society.