[PLUG] Recap of Taylor/CentOS issue

Geoffrey Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Apr 2 19:49:22 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006, Lancashire, Pete wrote:

> now you know why uSoft has what over 85% of the market
>
> this is your very typical 'customer', what's even more
> scary is the same technical understanding exists at
> much larger gov't and corporations.

One thing that easily gets overlooked in this entire exchange
was that Jerry Taylor fired off an email & got an immediate
response from a senior member of the CentOS team. It would be
as if you wrote to Microsoft to complain about a problem &
got a personal response from Bill Gates himself.

Now, consider if you wrote to Microsoft to angrily complain about
a problem on your computer -- not with MS Windows, but with
how Quicken was installed -- & Gates replied with a scathing email
caling you not only "stupid" but "fucking stupid" & that to
expect him to help you with third-party he has no knowledge
of & has no control over.

Oh wait, Gates already uses that kind of language with people,
doesn't he? And I doubt he'd acknowledge a follow-up email either.
Now how did he get to be the richest man in the world again?
Was it actually by offering quality customer service?

Two kinds of people will read this exchange: those who have been
on one side or the either of a tech support call, & those who
have not. Mr. Taylor was lucky he got *any* help, let alone
the help he did get. I would have tossed his email address into
my twit filter -- & maybe setup an autoreply message telling him
to go away & autoDarwinize himself

Geoff