[PLUG] Disto question

Jon Scully jonscully at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 20:12:04 UTC 2006

On 4/1/06, Bruce Kilpatrick <bakilpatrick at verizon.net> wrote:

> Rich,
>
> You had previously convinced me to install Slack.  Your descriptions
> sold me some time back.  I was surprised that O'Reilly didn't include
> Slackware in his Desktop Pocket Reference.  As soon as some troublesome
> issues with older computers breaking down (another power supply failure)
> are resolved and I can have a computer the wife doesn't need to depend
> on...it will happen.

If you like Slack (or Gentoo) you may like Arch Linux even more.  It's i686
optimized -- boots and runs fast -- and has a "rolling release" packaging
system.  It also accommodates installation of unique packages through its
ABS system -- very nice.  I'd recommend one check out the wiki and forums
before taking the plunge.

I moved to Arch, a year ago, after trying Slack, Gentoo and others, and
after years of wrestling with RPM-hell.

My two cents ;-)

--
Jon Scully