[PLUG] Xen and the Art of OS Maintenance

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 18:01:59 UTC 2006

On 4/3/06, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> >  Has anyone here used Xen to run Win98SE as a virtual guest on a
> > linux host? If so, is there a mechanism to move applications and
> > data from VMware to Xen?
>
> My understanding is that you need an Intel VT-aware processor (or,
> later this year, an AMD processor with "Pacifica" technology) to run
> Windows under Xen. The Xen Wiki has the best discussion I've run
> across of what processors will do this:
>
>    http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/IntelVT
>
> That said, I haven't seen any documents that outline the process for
> getting Window 98 to run under Xen.

Interesting.  Poking around the wiki some more I found this:

Q: What operating systems are supported by Xen?
A: Currently Xen supports Linux 2.4, 2.6, and NetBSD 2.0. XenSource
demonstrated Windows XP running on Xen at the Intel Developer Forum
(IDF) in August 2005, and will deliver a commercial support offering
for this in early 2006.

I wonder what they mean by "deliver a commercial support offering for
this"?  Does this mean you have to purchase a commercial license to
run Windows over IntelVT/AMD Pacifica or are they offering a support
package for open-source products?

Jason