[PLUG] Disto question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 4 13:21:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Bruce Kilpatrick wrote:

> The idea is to divorce myself from Bill Gates (applause greatly appreciated
> here).

   Clap. Clap.

> If someone can tell me how to run Quicken reliably in Linux, we will sign
> the papers and make the divorce final very quickly. The AMD K6II 350 is
> currently being taxed to death running XP pro to provide us with the
> Quicken machine. Open Office has proved itself as a replacement for the MS
> Office.

   Er, why run Quacken or Quack Books? Shuffle off to
<http://www.sql-ledger.com/> and download the latest version. Then consider
paying Dieter the $190 for support and the manual.

   SQL-Ledger runs with several backends (I use postgres), httpd flavors (I
use apache-1.3.x), and any browser. Designed for manufacturing, production,
distribution, and retail, it is being used by a huge range of us with various
needs. I use it for my consulting services business. A number of folks on the
mail list use it for POS retail operations. It's completely flexible and
superbly adaptable. As a series of perl scripts, you can do with it what you
want and need. Heck, even the Estonian language translation has now been
completed.

> The short answer is...I am wanting to learn Linux and to do it with very
> little free time. My wife wants stable tools that work without lots of
> tinkering.

   There you go. Defenestrate and get on with your lives.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  Quantifying subjectivity for the
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |  benefit of business and society.