[PLUG] Xen and the Art of OS Maintenance

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Tue Apr 4 15:58:20 UTC 2006

Rich,

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 10:53 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>
> > My understanding is that you need an Intel VT-aware processor (or, later
> > this year, an AMD processor with "Pacifica" technology) to run Windows
> > under Xen. The Xen Wiki has the best discussion I've run across of what
> > processors will do this:
>
>    Thanks, Paul. I saw a brief article today on a company that's open sourcing
> its Xes-based tool. That's what got me interested.
>
> > That said, I haven't seen any documents that outline the process for getting
> > Window 98 to run under Xen.
>
>    OK. I'll stay with VMware. Apparently it's going to cost me money
> regardless of solution selected.

I've gotten Win98 to run under QEMU, it was slow, but usable on a 2.8Gig
P4.  There is a kernel patch that will supposedly increase performance 4
fold, but I haven't had time to try it.  (I was able to get a base
install of 2K running under QEMU, but it lost access to a critical file
after applying SP4, and would not boot any more.)  With win98, you
should be able to copy the file system to a QEMU virtual disk, boot to
safe mode, wipe the hardware, then boot to normal mode.  AFAIK, VMware
virtual disks are not compatible with QEMU and QEMU disks are not
compatible with VMware.  Good thing they both have network support.

Good Luck,
--
Derek Loree <drl at drloree.com>