[PLUG] dirvish question..

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Fri Apr 7 04:10:09 UTC 2006

Hello,
  I've been playing around with dirvish as a possible solution to
replace my current semi-homegrown backup "system".

  All is good except multiple snaps of an unchanged directory tree take
up significant space (about 30% of the original) according to du.  Stat
doesn't show any of the handful of files I've checked as linked files
and all have different inodes.

  If I create a file of some random size, then make a hard link to the
file with ln stat shows both the "original" and the linked has linked
and with the same inode.

  Are du and/or stat lying to me?  Or does the rsync link consume lots
of space that a regular ln link doesn't?  Or am I missing some key
dirvish option?

  And I'm not sure if it matters or not, but this is on FreeBSD using
the UFS file system..

thanks for any help,
Brent