[PLUG] Disto question

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Fri Apr 7 20:07:14 UTC 2006

some hints on boot problems -

some old boxes don't like the iso boot sequence with 2.88 emulated floppies (el torito). Most of them prefer an upgraded bios - I've succesfully booted p200 boxes that seemed completely dead at first this way (wouldn't even start loading the kernel e.g.)

always assume your bios is broken first, nobody back in the days knew how to implement acpi properly and the bios tables often are futzed. While windows will load (because it just remaps everything) linux might fail (it actually tries to follow the bios info). So good hints are to disable acpi and apic (boot with noapic noacpi for starters).

I'm sure there are more tricks but these are the ones that get most of my systems going.

Auke