[PLUG] Disto question

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Sat Apr 8 20:04:39 UTC 2006

Bruce Kilpatrick wrote:
> I downloaded Archie after Ken's suggestions on how to use wget.  Burned
> a CD.  Tried to run live on my old K6II 350.
> I watched it boot, start to load Archie, a few dots across the screen,
> and it reset my machine.  I watched this twice before I stopped the
> process.
> I must need to go back and reread the article on distros and old machines.

Is a K6II considered i686?  I don't know the older AMD classifications,
I just know that anything Pentium 3 or greater is i686.  Arch Linux is
an i686-optimized distro.  There's a port for i586, but I don't know how
far along it is.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions