[PLUG] Disto question

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Sat Apr 8 20:26:20 UTC 2006

Bruce Kilpatrick wrote:
> Hopefully someone else can answer that question.  It might be i686.  I
> had a 5x86 that was nothing more than an over clocked 486 (both AMD) and
> it was a smokin machine for it's time.
>
> More research necessary.

486 != 586 - they are really different instruction sets making them different.
If you run generic x86 code (==i386) it will work (of course) but back then
nobody was using -march=i586 anyway.

> The fact of the matter is that I am experimenting to see what the old
> girl will run.  At this point in time she is exhausting herself running
> XPPro...she's tough but struggling with the newer software.  More memory
> would certainly not hurt...Did someone say Free Geek?

run `arch` on it and it will show the correct value:

$ arch
i586

k6 and k6-2 are not 100% i686. In theory most i686 software will work -
especially if generically compiled with "sane" optimizations. But at random
intervals you may experience the horrible "Illegal Instruction" errors.

Auke