[PLUG] Scanning and OCR in Linux

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon Apr 10 02:37:05 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 09:43:45PM -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> In the meantime, I guess I have to rely on Windows to do OCR.

Shame, that.  The state of voice-recognition is pretty poor, too.
Reading the Oregonian's "Ooh! Shiny! Windows Vista!" article, that was
the one feature that wasn't already available on Linux.

Wine has a SANE-TWAIN interface, so Winders apps can use scanners in
Linux.  I wonder if that could be made to work with an OCR app?  Might
be a fun project for some Linux Clinic or something.

Linux Clinic at Free Geek two weeks from today,
  Aaron