[PLUG] Compiling/Installing a Single Driver

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Mon Apr 10 16:22:19 UTC 2006

Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>    I managed to miss specifying generic_serial when I built my custom kernels
> (2.4.32 and 2.6.16). I need that driver for the pci serial card (the
> motherboard has only one serial port on it). It's been so long since I built
> a single driver as a module.

I would just do another make menuconfig or its equivalent and enable the
additional driver, followed by make modules.  Then you can copy the module
to the appropriate spot in /lib/modules.  It's probably safe to do
make modules_install, but I won't guarantee it.

I know there's a more direct way, but a quick search didn't find it.

galen