[PLUG] Copying Hard Disk to Hard Disk

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 02:58:28 UTC 2006

# from Richard C. Steffens
# on Thursday 13 April 2006 07:48 pm:

>Unfortunately, she needs to run a disk space hogging program that will
>only install on the "C" drive (and is only available for Winders).

Sure!  Just login to windows as root and mount C:\\Program\
Files\\directory\ name\\here\\ to a partition on the new drive.  Oh,
wait...  nevermind that.

>Can I boot up the machine with Knoppix (or similar) and copy the first
>drive to the second in a way that, when I swap the drives, the second
>drive boots just as if it was the first drive, but is now 13GB? (I
> would swap cables and adjust jumpers on the drives.)

Sure, but you have to transfer the boot sector or else use the windows
rescue disk to put a boot sector on the new drive.  IIRC, it is
somewhat dependent on the drive geometry, so it may be easiest to use
the startup disk instead of dd.

--Eric
--
So malloc calls a timeout and starts rummaging around the free chain,
sorting things out, and merging adjacent small free blocks into larger