[PLUG] Copying Hard Disk to Hard Disk

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Apr 14 03:57:17 UTC 2006

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard C Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> writes:

Richard> My wife has a 4GB hard drive on her Win98 machine and needs
Richard> more room. The simple solution was to add a 13GB drive as a
Richard> second drive. Unfortunately, she needs to run a disk space
Richard> hogging program that will only install on the "C" drive (and
Richard> is only available for Winders).

Richard> My question:

Richard> Can I boot up the machine with Knoppix (or similar) and copy
Richard> the first drive to the second in a way that, when I swap the
Richard> drives, the second drive boots just as if it was the first
Richard> drive, but is now 13GB? (I would swap cables and adjust
Richard> jumpers on the drives.)

Richard> If so, what command do I use, and how do I log in to Knoppix
Richard> in a way that lets me do this? (I assume I need to log in, or
Richard> SU to root, but I don't know the Knoppix root password.

the partition modifying software should (gpart?  i don't remember).
How is that for specific step-by-step instructions?

BTW: su to root doesn't need a password on Knoppix.

seniorr at aracnet.com