[PLUG] Copying Hard Disk to Hard Disk

Dan Young danielmyoung at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 04:34:44 UTC 2006

On 4/13/06, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> Can I boot up the machine with Knoppix (or similar) and copy the first
> drive to the second in a way that, when I swap the drives, the second
> drive boots just as if it was the first drive, but is now 13GB? (I would
> swap cables and adjust jumpers on the drives.)

Ghost4Linux has bootable ISO images for download. It does either local
or networked disk cloning. A quick peek says if you clone from a
smaller disk to a larger disk, it will leave "some space" (their
words; not very descriptive) unallocated. It uses partimage, according
to the docs, so if Knoppix has that, you might just try it directly.

GNU Parted can resize FAT partitions.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l
http://www.gnu.org/software/parted

Optionally, you could find somebody with Norton/Symantec Ghost, which
can resize partitions during a clone.

Nice thing is, you can afford to screw it up as long as you leave the
original disk alone.

--
Dan Young