[PLUG] Fastest Upgrade in the West

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Tue Apr 18 00:25:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 12:50:17PM -0700, Christian Brink wrote:
> Rich Shepard wrote:
> >  Those of you running a business and not using SQL-Ledger for your
> >bookkeeping and accounting functions are missing a great tool. Not only
> >will
> >it probably do everything you want, if it doesn't, Dieter will probably add
> >that feature if it looks to be useful to others, too.
> >
> >  One of the really slick features is the speed of upgrading to the latest
> >version. The application is a set of perl scripts installed in
> >/usr/local/sql-ledger/. To upgrade, download the latest tarball, copy it to
> >/usr/local/, and type 'tar tzvf sql-ledger-<version number>.' Press
> >[Enter],
> >and as soon as the tarball is unpacked over the previous version, you're
> >finished. It's that simple. Even faster than running the Slackware package
> >tool, upgradepkg. :-)
>
> Rich -
>
> I felt I needed to write this, this is not personal in any way. I've
> gone through several Linux accounting programs and SQL-Ledger has some
> serious downsides.
>
> My comments are about a version I ran for about 3 months, a year ago
> (and some quick glancing at current code).
>
> If you are looking for anything beyond rearranging forms, like
> customizing/fixing a bug (what I consider the biggest feature of open
> source and perl programs), you are out of luck.
<snip detailed description>

Hm.  Sounds exactly like what FreeGeek and co. went through with another
"ready-to-run" app that needed just a wee bit of customization.

How many times has someone said, "well, we didn't *mean* to rewrite the
whole thing, but the old code was so ugly..."

> Here are some good packages free (beer and/or speech) I found:

That's a great list, thanks!  Will save for future reference.