[PLUG] Mounting Phone

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Apr 19 06:21:52 UTC 2006

On 18 Apr 2006 13:42:11 -0700
Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> dijo:

> JJJ> usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices cdc_acm 1-2:1.0:
> JJJ> ttyACM0: USB ACM device
>
> Eric> If it were a mass-storage device, the above would say something
> Eric> about /dev/sda or otherwise mention blocks and/or storage.
>
> Eric> This is a "USB ACM" device.  I haven't got a clue what that
> Eric> means, but I'm guessing konqueror 'gg:usb acm linux razr' may
> Eric> shed some light on the subject.  The ttyACM0 implies that you
> Eric> (or a program on your behalf) will be having something like a
> Eric> serial (one at a time please) discussion with mr phone involving
> Eric> some sort of protocol that expresses "may I please have the ..."
> Eric> in a vocabulary appropriate to the intellect of a device
> Eric> slightly smarter than a bag of hammers.
>
> There is a program that will talk to the RAZR.  I haven't made it work
> for me yet, but I haven't been very motivated.  Hmm.  Let me dig
> ... moto4lin, i think it's called.  Google should lead you in the
> right direction.

First, Eric, what does the "gg" do in "gg:usb acm linux razr"? I ask because in Konqueror I opened a new location popup window and pasted that line in. Konqueror announced "gg is not a supported protocol."

next, Russell, I downloaded moto4lin and another file from the same page, pk2moto. Sourceforge says my V3 is supported by moto4lin, but I didn't see any discussion of what the difference is between moto4lin and pk2moto. I viewed both tar files with my archiver program and each contains gobs of files. Not being sure what to do next, I googled. Best instructions are here:

http://www.linuxnetmag.com/de/issue9/m9moto4lin1.html

But it didn't work for me. "Make" worked, but when I got down to "make install" it gave me a lot of error messages. He says to make some changes to ./bash_profile, but I couldn't find /.bash_profile.

I've tried things like this (make, and related commands) several times in the past in order to install programs. I have yet to get one to work.

Further suggestions welcome.