[PLUG] mod_rewrite question

Alex alexlinux at qwest.net
Thu Apr 20 07:40:11 UTC 2006

HI All.
    I'm trying to figure out the mod_rewrite function for Apache and
really don't have a clue stick here. All I want to do is redirect all
the spiderbots to my latest and greatest website folder while still
having the old folder in place (things in there that need to stay there
for the time being). I have read the mod_rewrite page on the Apache site
and all it does is befuddle me.
    Here's what I want to do...
All requests for files that reside in folder Web2004 need to be
redirected to folder Web2006. Now according to the mod_rewrite man I
think it should go like this:
    RewriteEngine On

    RewriteBase    /Web2004
...the above being the easy part. My problem is that my index.html is in
a higher folder and it looks to me like that may cause a problem with
trying to get the redirect to work right as I don't have a set file to
redirect to as in the example...

RewriteRule   ^oldstuff\.html$  newstuff.html

Hit me with a clue stick please.

Alex McCreary
alexlinux at qwest.net
www.borderline.dns2go.com