[PLUG] mod_rewrite question

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 08:03:25 UTC 2006

# from Alex
# on Thursday 20 April 2006 12:40 am:

>RewriteBase    /Web2004
>...the above being the easy part. My problem is that my index.html is
> in a higher folder and it looks to me like that may cause a problem
> with trying to get the redirect to work right as I don't have a set
> file to redirect to as in the example...
>
>RewriteRule   ^oldstuff\.html$  newstuff.html

That's the RewriteBase example.  Try the RewriteRule example.

  RewriteRule  ^/here/$                 /there/homepage.min.html  [L]

> All I want to do is redirect all
>the spiderbots to my latest and greatest website folder while still
>having the old folder in place (things in there that need to stay there
>for the time being)

"need to stay there" meaning that external links to the URL's can't get
broken?

Are you redirecting everyone or just the bots?  Maybe not a job for
mod_rewrite.  Symlink?  Alias?

--Eric
--
To succeed in the world, it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be
well-mannered.