[PLUG] XFS experiences

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Thu Apr 20 19:17:32 UTC 2006

Ref: SCSI vs. SATA RAID messages.

I'm down to the point of ordering our new ( specialized ) server so I'm
thinking of other performance considerations for the software it will be
running.  This brings up file systems.
    I typically just choose ext3 and SWAG a partition scheme depending
on how much disk space the system has.  This has worked for well for the
general purpose systems I've build to date.  Since the software we'll be
running is very disk and RAM intensive we've loaded up ( given the
projected work load ) on RAM and the SCSI RAID will help but I'm now
looking at file systems.
    Choices fall as either ext3 and XFS.  I know how ext3 works and it's
warts but I've never used XFS.  The reason I'm not considering ReiserFS
  is we have million's of files ranging in size from a few KByte to a
few GByte in size.
    There are also a lot of temporary files that are short lived so --
according to the XFS articles I've read -- will never hit the disks.

What are your thoughts and ideas on XFS as a file system.

TIA,
Rod