[PLUG] XFS experiences

Eli Stair eli.stair at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 20:12:53 UTC 2006

I'll give a brief brief, if you want more info I'll be happy to
provide details ;)

XFS is great.  However, so is ext3.  (very non-commital ;)

In the event that everything works OK, I've been extremely happy with
XFS.  When I've had failures they are tremendously huge, and sometimes
have a creeping-doom leaving up to them making recovery painful.  I
used to rant about how inferior ext3 was, and scoff at those to didn't
take the time to test and tweek _every_ filesystem tunable and
generate pretty graphs documenting superiority... I'm recovering from
that now!

After unaddressed significant XFS bugs lingering through numerous
in-kernel releases and XFS project releases, I realized it wasn't
something that I wanted to be running on critical systems.  I've had
issues with kernel bugs on ext3, but they've been addressed _swiftly_
by Redhat and the developers.  XFS had numerous bugzilla entries from
me for a long time, that never responded...

Pros:

XFS:
  Fast.  Tunable.  Chic.

ext3:
  Fast.
  Extremely well-tested and proven recovery/lint tools.
  Great full-time coder/vendor support.

Cons:

XFS:
  If it breaks, plan on recovering from backup and switching to a
different filesystem.  If it's a repeatable bug, you'll hit it
again... and again... and post how repeatable it is... and get no
response.

ext3:
  The docs are only like 10% as big ;)
  Far fewer filesystem layout options.

Breakdown:
  ext3 is fast when set up right, and very stable.  If you've got the
new hardware investment, there are a number of things you can do to
tweak your layout properly for your workload.   If you'd like to chat
about it, let me know.  If you want to play with a system specifically
for non-critical temporary data with massively concurrent IO (and you
have a LOT of money to make that work), go with XFS (or just buy some
Spinnakers).  If you want a really capable, stable, and warm-fuzzy
system that is capable of massively concurrent IO (within the limits
of your hardware), I'd go with ext3 (or just buy some Spinnakers)  and
put a bit of effort (a couple days) into planning and testing it.

IMO.

Cheers,

/eli