[PLUG] Browser Blues - ALMOST Resolved

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Thu Apr 20 23:11:29 UTC 2006

That's good.  Last week I made an inadvertent discovery about my IPv6
problems on Debian that may have some bearing on why I had Debian/Ubuntu
issues but no issues with Arch Linux.  But I haven't had time to look
into it further as this has been a very bad week.  My mom died a few
days ago, so I'm not paying much attention to computer stuff right now
and am way behind on email and, well, everything else.

Bruce Kilpatrick wrote:
> Wow!
> I finally had a little time to sit down and give this suggestion a
> try.  Edited the file, rebooted the computer, and Firefox is running
> as fast as I have seen.  We will see if this continues or if it is a
> fluke for the night.
>
> Bruce
>
> Michael M wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 20:13 -0800, William A Morita wrote:
>>

>>> I was too hasty with my prior posting.
>>> I would appear that Konquorer is operational.
>>> Firefox is only able retrieve pages that Konquorer had fetched.
>>> This is getting stranger and stranger.
>>>
>>> Anyone, any guesses as to the root cause here?
>>>

>> Sounds like exactly the problem I had.  Basically, as was explained in a
>> there's a bug in the kernel that doesn't handle the absence of IPv6
>> properly.  Presumably, your ISP is not providing IPv6 yet (mine -- Qwest
>> -- is not).  What should happen is that when IPv6 requests go out and
>> don't receive a reply, the network should default to IPv4.  Or something
>> like that.  Instead, it just waits for a reply over IPv6.  Konqueror
>> works because it isn't IPv6-enabled yet, so it's only using IPv4 from
>> the get-go (doesn't send anything out over IPv6).  The same with w3m if
>> you invoke it with "-4".  Gecko-based browsers (Mozilla, Firefox,
>> Epiphany), however, are IPv6 enabled, so they just hang, because the
>> network is waiting for a reply over IPv6 that will never arrive.
>>
>> I had the same thing happen with Gecko browsers you describe -- if I
>> browsed to any website with Konqueror or w3m -4 first, then Firefox etc.
>> would load the page.  Otherwise, they wouldn't load anything.  I don't
>> completely understand why this is the case, but my grasp of all of this
>> is pretty tenuous.
>>
>> I don't know how you address the problem in Fedora.  In Debian, I
>> commented out "alias net-pf-10 ipv6" and added "alias net-pf-10 off"
>> in /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.  That shuts down network support of IPv6
>> altogether, and the problem goes away.  It's not exactly a fix, but it's
>> a workaround.  Fedora might be different, though.
>>
>> Oh, I read that a reboot was required after
>> editing /etc/modprobe.d/aliases.  Apparently, just stopping and
>> restarting the network won't do the trick.

Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson