[PLUG] Ubuntu hangs during install, but Suse installs fine

Scott Van Hoosen svanhoosen at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 21 22:23:03 UTC 2006

I've been trying to install Ubuntu 5.10 on an AMD64 system (Asus A8N
mobo, 1 GB RAM), but it keeps hanging during the install. It hangs at
different parts each time... sometimes during partitioning, sometimes
while copying files from the CDROM, and sometimes after the reboot when
it finishes the install.

I verified the CD image with md5sum, tried two different i386 CDs and
also an AMD64 CD. I also tried three different hard drives (two SATA
and one IDE), tried both SATA ports, all with the same results. I also
tried installing with "linux noapic nolapic" but didn't fix it there
either.

This system installs Suse 10 just fine.

Any suggestions?

-Scott