[PLUG] Mounting Phone

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 06:54:27 UTC 2006

On 4/21/06, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
> There are two things that aren't clear.
>
> 1. Why doesn't p2ktest find the phone?
>
> 2. What is the purpose of p2ktest? Is it just to verify that the
> computer can talk to the phone?

I don't know the answer to either of those questions, but I *do* know
that there is something  wrong with the way moto4lin establishes
connections to the phone.  I've never been able to connect solely
through moto4lin.  IIRC, the proceedure I've used to transfer files
to/from the phone is:  (If this doesn't work, let me know.  I don't
have my usb cable to test and it's been a while.)

1) run p2ktest and establish a connection, then close p2ktest (the
closing part may be optional)
2) start moto4lin, verify the settings are correct (pointing to the
correct tty device, mostly -- and in agreement with anything learned
from p2ktest in #1)
3) Hit the Connect/Disconnect button
4) transfer files very carefully.  The defaults are anything but
intuitive, and the view of the phone filesystem seems to have little
effect on where things go and what paths you need to input manually.
Basically, moto4lin is a serious pain in the ass to use, but I have
been able to get the job done with it.

> Ignoring that problem for the moment, I went on to try to build
> moto4lin. After discovering that I didn't have QT3, and resolving that
> with YaST I was successful in building moto4lin. But, I was not
> successful in running it. I get the following:

> dhcppc4:/usr/bin # ./moto4lin
> Xlib: No protocol specified
>
> moto4lin: cannot connect to X server :0.0

See if you can run xclock in the same way, with the same user as
moto4lin.  This looks to be an X issue that should be easily resolved
by running something like 'xhost +' and/or setting your DISPLAY
variable.   Are you running a non-standard X setup? (nested, multiple
servers, etc?)

As a side note -- I have not found a way to install a ringtone over
the usb cable.

--Rogan