[PLUG] Mounting Phone

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sun Apr 23 19:57:36 UTC 2006

Rogan Creswick wrote:
> On 4/21/06, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>There are two things that aren't clear.
>>
>>1. Why doesn't p2ktest find the phone?
>>
>>2. What is the purpose of p2ktest? Is it just to verify that the
>>computer can talk to the phone?
>>

> I don't know the answer to either of those questions, but I *do* know
> that there is something  wrong with the way moto4lin establishes
> connections to the phone.  I've never been able to connect solely
> through moto4lin.

That's good to know. I hope John sees this before going to the clinic today.

> IIRC, the proceedure I've used to transfer files
> to/from the phone is:  (If this doesn't work, let me know.  I don't
> have my usb cable to test and it's been a while.)
>
> 1) run p2ktest and establish a connection, then close p2ktest (the
> closing part may be optional)

Maybe that's the answer to the question of what p2ktest is for. Maybe
moto4lin is a project done without a lot of time available to integrate
stuff as it comes along.

> 2) start moto4lin, verify the settings are correct (pointing to the
> correct tty device, mostly -- and in agreement with anything learned
> from p2ktest in #1)
> 3) Hit the Connect/Disconnect button
> 4) transfer files very carefully.  The defaults are anything but
> intuitive, and the view of the phone filesystem seems to have little
> effect on where things go and what paths you need to input manually.
> Basically, moto4lin is a serious pain in the ass to use, but I have
> been able to get the job done with it.

Good to be aware of the hazards. Thanks for the heads up.

>>Ignoring that problem for the moment, I went on to try to build
>>moto4lin. After discovering that I didn't have QT3, and resolving that
>>with YaST I was successful in building moto4lin. But, I was not
>>successful in running it. I get the following:

>>dhcppc4:/usr/bin # ./moto4lin
>>Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>>Xlib: No protocol specified
>>
>>moto4lin: cannot connect to X server :0.0
>

> See if you can run xclock in the same way, with the same user as
> moto4lin.

Bingo.
rsteff at dhcppc4:~> xclock

The clock works fine when started from a normal user terminal.

rsteff at dhcppc4:~> su
Password:
dhcppc4:/home/rsteff # xclock
Xlib: No protocol specified

Error: Can't open display: :0.0
dhcppc4:/home/rsteff #

dhcppc4:~ # logout
rsteff at dhcppc4:~>

rsteff at dhcppc4:~> su -
Password:
dhcppc4:~ # xclock
Error: Can't open display:

> This looks to be an X issue that should be easily resolved
> by running something like 'xhost +' and/or setting your DISPLAY
> variable.   Are you running a non-standard X setup? (nested, multiple
> servers, etc?)

The standard X setup that comes with SuSE 9.1.

So the problem is related to running moto4lin as root. Do I change all
the protections for all the files related to moto4lin, or is there some
other way this should be done?

> As a side note -- I have not found a way to install a ringtone over
> the usb cable.

That won't bother me. I use vibrate exclusively. In some settings a
unique tune could be amusing, but I find that vibrate is less annoying
to anyone around me.

Thanks for the ideas. I look forward to hearing John's experience at
today's clinic.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens