[PLUG] CPU test software needed

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Wed Apr 26 19:38:45 UTC 2006

Eli Stair wrote:
> 78C? That's wayy not good.. then again, I guess that's >=half the
> problem with the modern Intel chips...  and 160krpm, sounds like your
> BIOS/lmsensors is scaling that wrong.

Well, remember, I just replaced the motherboard and power supply and the
exact same problem is back.  I don't for a minute actually believe the
proc is that hot.  This is a Supermicro bare bone unit and the video and
nic are onboard.  So when I replace the board, I replace everything.

I'm up to 8 passes on the memory (Corsair) now with memtest and no
errors yet.  Bad memory is not very common, but the few sticks I have
had come up bad in the past show up in memtest pretty quick, if the
computer boots at all.  So I don't think it's the mem.

But even more rare is a bad CPU.  I have only ever had one and I wasn't
sure that the board it was in is what took it out.  So that's why I need
some way of testing this chip.

> If you're running a recent kernel, make sure you set up mcelog
> (download the newest and compile) and run this per-minute dumping to a
> file.  This will output if there are any CPU/BUS/MEM ECC errors
> detected, and frequently (depending on chipset) drill down to the CPU#
> or DRAM bank.

My test box doesn't even have a hard drive in it right now.  But thanks
for this info.  I will keep it in mind if something a little more
convenient doesn't show anything.

--
- m0gely
http://quake2.telestream.com/