[PLUG] Which filesystem? redux

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Fri Apr 28 00:11:12 UTC 2006

Aaron Burt wrote:
> Article comparing ext3, reiser, xfs, jfs on Debian Etch:
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/388
>
> The LWN comments are kinda interesting:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/181343/
>
> Rough summary: ReiserFS mounts/unmounts slowly and generally uses more
> CPU, Ext3 deletes files slowly, XFS and JFS are generally (but not
> vastly) superior performance-wise.
>
> My take-away: stick with Ext3 unless you can benchmark.

I'm a simple user, neither advanced in my technical skills nor in my
needs. In all the years I've been using a computer of one type or
another to do the simple kinds of things that I do, I've used a variety
of different file systems -- fat, vfat, NTFS, ext2, ext3, hfs, hfs+, and
ReiserFS. The only time I've ever had a problem vis-a-vis file system
corruption and data loss was with the last.

That's purely anecdotal and unscientific, of course, and says nothing
about the merits of ReiserFS for tasks I don't require, nor anything
about the virtues and capabilities of the various other file systems
available. But you know what they say, "once bitten, twice shy." People
can benchmark themselves into the next millennium; me, I'm sticking with
ext3.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson