[PLUG] Laptops and warranties

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Wed Aug 2 14:34:21 UTC 2006

Tony Schlemmer <aschlemm at comcast.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 August 2006 14:28, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> > Like any insurance, an extended warranty is a bet. For me, I'll take
> > the insurance on laptops every time. I've dealt with too many
> > situations where I'd have essentially thrown away the purchase price
> > of the laptop had it not been for the warranty.
>
> I've always found that if I get an extended warranty in most cases I've never
> had to use it. But as soon as I buy a product and don't get the extended
> warranty the unit seems to die shortly after the standard warranty coverage
> has expired. :-/

Don't forget to check the fine print on your credit card benefits
statement.  You may be able to get coverage beyond the manufacturer's
warranty.  For example:

  "Extended Warranty Protection: When you purchase your item entirely on
  your REI Visa Gold card, Visa will automatically double the
  manufacturer's written U.S. repair warranty up to one year on
  warranties of three years or less."

It should be noted that I've never actually made a claim under this.

galen