[PLUG] Fun with IPTables

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Wed Aug 2 17:26:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 08:03 -0700, Russ Gilman-Hunt wrote:

> I was just using one of "your" nodes last night, considering this.  (At
> Anna Bananas in st johns, tyvm).   I'm guessing that to do this I would
> follow these steps:
>
> 1) set up squid/privoxy (privoxy? really?)  on my local (home) linux
> box.
>
> 2) open up the firewall for a specific port to match the
> squid/privoxy.

No, as long as you're allowing SSH in, you don't need this.

> 3) when I was out in the wild, using my (gag) windows
> based laptop, use putty and forward a local port on the laptop to the
> port at my home firewall.
>
> 4) configure firefox on the laptop to use the laptop as a proxy.
>
> When the packets get to the linux box, how does the linux box know to
> decrypt them?

Uh, it's just part of the SSH connection?

> Am I missing any steps? That's pretty much the extent of
> my knowledge- so if you know of an already written how-to, I could use
> it :) But don't write one, I can google with the rest of the herd.

You should just read up on SSH port-forwarding.  You're just going to
forward a port on your laptop (localhost) over an SSH tunnel to the
proxy port on your firewall or server (localhost, again).  From the
outside, it's all just SSH port 22 traffic.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>
Naked Ape Consulting, Ltd